Working at home involves being seated at your workstation for several hours. It is therefore essential to work in optimal conditions. Pay particular attention to the installation of complete lighting by following our advice.
Modern Table Lamp By US.Chandelier
1. THE BASIC RULES FOR PROPERLY LIGHTING YOUR OFFICE
The first idea is to avoid any premature fatigue of your eyes. It is imperative to adapt the lighting to your type of work. Detailed work (jewellery making, DIY, sewing) requires a higher level of lighting than for less precise work. If you work in front of a computer screen, place a light source behind the screen to avoid bright contrast which can tire the eyes.
The lamp-bulb couple must be chosen carefully. Prefer desk lamps , namely with articulated arm and adjustable diffuser in order to adjust the lighting according to your needs. On the bulb side, choose energy-efficient and economical bulbs but above all with a good color rendering index and a rather white color temperature. Don't forget to add essential general lighting for a restful light balance.
If you spend long hours in front of your desk, consider so-called "full spectrum" bulbs to benefit from a light close to daylight, pleasant and stimulating. Another valuable option: desk lamps equipped with a dimmer, a real “plus” for adjusting your lighting needs throughout the day.
2. WHAT TYPE OF LIGHTING FOR AN OFFICE?
To effectively illuminate an office, it is necessary to provide general lighting and functional lighting. Don't settle for just one desk lamp, the contrast with the ambient darkness would be exhausting for your eyes.
The ideal to work comfortably is to reproduce a light similar to daylight. A halogen or incandescent ceiling light is therefore recommended. Avoid ceiling lights with excessively dazzling spotlights which project their light beams directly on you and the work area and do not sufficiently illuminate the room as a whole.
In order to avoid glare on the computer screen, install a lamp on the side or a tubular lamp above the desk.
3. WHICH DESK LAMP TO CHOOSE NEAR A COMPUTER?
To properly illuminate your office, you should mix the light sources.
– No glare, no shadows: the light that surrounds your computer is designed with precision.
– Indirect lighting of the ceiling type is combined with direct lighting on the work area. But we will not place the office under the ceiling!
– Ideally, a table lamp is placed at the back of the computer, as a wall lamp , floor lamp or on the desk, thus illuminating the space in front of you (behind the screen). But be careful, the bulb must not be visible to avoid glare and the screen must not receive any light flux.
– The optimum illumination of a work surface is 450 lux. The closer the temperature of the light released by the bulb to daylight, the more you will protect your eyes from eye fatigue: full spectrum bulb or new generation LED or halogen bulb are suitable.
– Light therapy lamps allow you to work while benefiting from beneficial light.
4. ARRANGE AN OFFICE AREA IN A BEDROOM
Even without a dedicated room, it is still possible to set up an office area in an interior, especially in a bedroom. This quiet area will allow you to concentrate. But for this workspace to remain pleasant, it must remain functional and aesthetic. Two options: a chameleon desk that blends the office area into the bedroom or a clearly visible desk to visually set it apart.
3 basic rules for setting up an office in a bedroom
– Above all, do not let yourself be overwhelmed, anticipate your needs: work surface necessary according to your activity (work on the computer, writing, drawing, etc.).
– Evaluate and reserve the storage space necessary for your needs to optimize the space under penalty of being overwhelmed.
– Your office space should not visually pollute you. The bedroom should remain a space of well-being and rest when you have finished working.