Are you perhaps starting a major renovation project and thinking about the lighting? First of all, know that there are different types of lighting to bring artificial light into your interior when natural light is no longer sufficient. Each lighting meets a specific need according to your activity and your desires . For a successful result, distribute the lighting harmoniously in the rooms of your interior.
The interior lighting of the house has a role that is both practical and aesthetic . It must be adapted to the needs of the room and the desired atmosphere. A real decorative element, it must fit perfectly with the style of your interior . Obtaining beautiful lighting takes several parameters into account: multiplying the light sources, choosing the appropriate colors and directing the light in the right direction to enhance the decor. A style exercise to handle, of which our experts reveal all the secrets! For successful interior home lighting ,
General interior lighting
As the name suggests, general lighting aims to illuminate an entire room. It often takes the form of a ceiling light or a suspension to be switched on as soon as you enter . This ceiling lighting generally provides sufficient light for orientation. It is found in living rooms such as the living room, dining room and kitchen.
- Ambient lighting: this accent lighting is used to create a soothing and cozy atmosphere in the room. Less intense and softer than the main lighting, its brightness can be modulated using dimmers. The ambient lighting is ideal for entertaining your friends for dinner or for a cocooning TV evening . Halogens, table lamps, wall lights, reading lamps… There are many possibilities for achieving this occasional light supply.
- Functional lighting: it is intended to facilitate household activities, such as cooking, reading, working, DIY , etc. Functional lighting allows these activities to be carried out comfortably and safely. Responding to a very targeted need, it is often presented as directional lighting (directed towards the activity to be carried out) and quite bright: lamp illuminating a work surface or a sink, bathroom spotlights, articulated lamp for reading, etc.
- Decorative lighting: with a function dedicated to decoration, decorative lighting is used to enhance your paintings, statues, objects, engravings, plants , etc. It is above all directional (directed towards the object to be highlighted) and can be present in the form of adjustable spotlights or small tilting luminaires. Like mood lighting, it helps create a soothing atmosphere by creating bright areas and shaded areas.
For successful interior home lighting:
vary the lights by correctly proportioning their power;
choose the right colors of bulbs according to the desired atmosphere;
direct the light to create stylish effects and enhance your furniture and decor!
How to integrate the interior lighting of the house into the decoration?
- Lighting to highlight your decor: The enhancement of the decor also goes through its lighting! For this, ambient and decorative lighting fulfill their role perfectly. Choose spotlights or wall lights to direct or tilt in the direction of your choice: towards an object, a piece of furniture, a plant or a bookcase . Ideally, enhance your decor with low intensity light to avoid heat effects.
- Choosing the right lights: The interior light has a lighting role (main, auxiliary, directional, etc.), but as a decorative object, its aesthetic aspect is very important! To know which luminaire to choose, think about the style of the room. It must fit in harmoniously: a designer floor lamp or recessed spotlights for a modern living room , a metal suspension for an industrial-style kitchen , a wooden chandelier for a rustic dining room! Depending on the shape, material and color chosen, the result will be very different!
- Multiply light sources: Thanks to the many light sources in your interior, play on the variations and change the atmosphere according to your mood! Ideally, provide 3 light sources per room and diversify the types of lighting: suspension, floor lamp, table lamp, spotlights, wall lights... If your electrical installation allows it, opt for dimmers. Successful interior lighting of the house depends on an oriented and well-balanced light supply.
- Direct the lights: Whether the lighting is direct (the light is projected directly onto the surface to be illuminated), indirect (the light is projected onto a reflective surface, such as a wall, ceiling or floor) or mixed (the light beam is divided in 2), it is essential to direct it in the right direction and with the right intensity. Create light effects with well-directed lighting. For example, direct the light towards the ceiling to highlight it and create volume.